Friday, February 25, 2005

Moving my own furniture

Let me start by saying that I've always seen myself as a sports car kinda girl. The first car that I ever bought was a Mazda MX-3. A gorgeous, sporty, little red jelly bean on wheels. Not very practical, but cute as hell and great on gas mileage.......until the day that I ran it under the end of a 1979 Ford F-150. Still, after a few weeks at the body shop, it was as good as new. Then, we move onto the maroon Mustang convertible. The ultimate girlie sports car, which, coincidentally, I also wrecked on more than one occassion. Then, we have the Accord. Not the four-door-I-have-kids version, but a two door with a spoiler, look-at-me-I'm-a-hottie version. Awesome! Anyway, back to what I was saying.
Obviously, I've always seen myself as a sports car kind of girl. This was great when I went out and had a life and stuff, although not so great when moving. I discovered that there are only so many items you can pack into an Accord and they are on a limited size scale. Sure, you can leave the trunk open, but when your drawer of unmentionables goes flying into the middle of the street, that theory is discounted rather quickly. And, I might add that the convertible was great for getting massive amounts of laundry to the laundry mat (in the dark days before I owned a washer and dryer). Even if you couldn't cram the baskets in the backseat through the door, all you had to do was drop the top. Yes, sports cars are great, but I think I've entered a new stage in my life.
The SUV stage. I know, I know, you're all shaking your heads at the mere social conformity of it, but they really are handy. When I got the first Explorer (before the transmition, engine, motor dilema) I was stoked. I went and bought a couch and a love seat and didn't have to call my dad and beg him to transport them in his truck. It was very liberating. I also don't have to worry about what to pull the camper with. (Not that I would be driving when it was being pulled b/c God knows I drive badly enough w/out pulling anything) AND, when I buy my house this summer and have to endure the pains of packing and moving, I won't have to bride every one of my friends with trucks with a case of beer to pack up my belongings and make endless trips across town. That alone will save me about forty bucks. If they help me carry stuff I may buy one case that will only cost me about $20. Not too shabby.
It's good to look at practical things like that every once in a while, I guess. That and my current Explorer is a V-8 with four wheel drive (Yeah!). Not that I'm going to go tearing up some poor farmers field anytime soon or anything, but it's a comfort to know that when it snows (and it does here...frequently) I'll have the added comfort of knowing I won't be getting stuck. Yeah, again! The Mustang was notorious for that.

Word of advice:
Never park a rear will drive vehicle outside a bar, uphill, on an icy night and then attempt to leave after drinking fill in the blank beers. It doens't work so well, but I had had a few that night and decided that I was going to try anyway.

Back to the story, so, now I've embraced this brand new version of me. I'm paying bills on time, going to school, buying a house, working two jobs, and driving an SUV. It all sounds so grown-up. How (and when) did this all happen? I must have missed it. Somewhere in between a marriage and a divorce, and job changes, and various other life stuff, there it was....I grew up. Huh. Never woulda thunk it. So, in retrospect, it's not really a car thing. It's a me thing. It's all a reflection of who I am and where I'm at. I've finally stopped chasing boys to do things for me and started moving my own furniture. Good for me, I say, but it's Friday and fifty degrees with a clear blue sky overhead, so I've got to go wash my big red SUV.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home