Friday, May 27, 2005

Day One of Being a Non-Smoker

I want to make it VERY clear that I have not had a cigarette in almost four hours. This is self-induced. I think….no, I know, that I am done smoking. ……………………………………………Sorry…I wanted to give you a little bit of time to pick yourself up off the floor. I know it’s a shock. It kinda shocked me too. I’ve been thinking about quitting for, oh, I don’t know…the last four or five years and I just haven’t been able to do it. Call it being a wuss, call it lack of will power, call it whatever you want (my brother will tell you that he calls it a glimpse of hell and thanks God when I finally light one up again), but it didn’t work out very well. This time, it’s going to be different. I guess now, I’ll get into the messy task of telling you what happened.
So, last night, I went to the bar (the one where MOMD works for those of you who don’t pay attention or haven’t honed your telepathy skills) and they were playing poker. Well, duh! What’s a girl to do, so I sat down and played with MOMD’s roommate/boss. Amazing the things you find out over poker chips. Evidently, he left her, or at least that’s the way I heard it. Huh? That really throws a kink in my theory, but oh well, I’ve never been particularly great with theories anyway. So he comes in and I give him the perfect chance to tell me to go to hell and leave him alone forever. I walked up to him and said “Will you just tell me to go to hell and leave you alone already?” and do you know what his response was…… “Why would I want to do that?”........ Are you freakin kidding me? I almost had to pick my jaw up off the floor. What is he talking about? Because you don’t answer phone calls or return text messages or even feel the need to be civil, that’s why moron. I don’t get it. So, when I woke up this morning and didn’t have any cigarettes, I decided that if I can quit while I’m dealing with all of his stupid shit, then I can quit for good. See? Good idea, huh? I thought so too.
So, I’m coming up on four hours without a smoke and I don’t feel that bad, probably because I’ve been eating sunflower seeds and chomping gum for the last three hours, but whatever works. I’m an orally fixated girl. I gotta do what I gotta do. I’m just looking forward to my house and clothes not smelling like a bar, my mouth not tasting like I just licked an astray, and all the money I’m gonna save. So excited. On top of that, I think that MOMD would fall over if he knew I quit smoking. I tried while we were together and it was not a pleasant experience for anyone involved. The look of disbelief on his face will be priceless. So, on that note…..I’m off to have a Marlboro-free day. *Hugs*

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good Luck in trying to quit smoking. If you want to bad enough you will. Think of all the money you'll save, and then can spend on clothes or something cool for your living space. Smoking really does stink....have you ever been in a store or somewhere and someone walks by and they reek of cigerettes? Yuck... its gross. My husband has quit and started up over and over but he keeps trying. This time he's doing great.

I think I'll have to come back and read your blog more.
I like your writing style.
Peggy in Chicago

10:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home